[Qgis-user] How to install QGIS in Debian 11?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Jul 22 01:36:21 PDT 2020

On 7/22/20 9:42 AM, aborruso wrote:
> The second question is: is there some step by step guide for dummies, to try
> to install QGIS 3.14.x (the one with inside the new standalone console tool)
> in debian 11?
> Probably no.
>
> And probably the general reply to my question is: "for a basic linux user as
> you, you must wait, there is no way to do it".

Mmm, as Juergen says, basic users should maybe not run 11 (the Debian *testing* version) as the libs in that one are a moving target, and if you want a rock-solid production environment, it is a little tricky to use 11.

But I do it myself, so the options I see/use:
- compile QGIS yourself (after some learning curve, it is not as difficult as it seems (on Debian)). If you install it with some scripts you can even run several versions next to each other (I do 3.10 3.14 and master).
If an important library version changes, I just reconfigure/recompile and 3.14 is there again
- learn about 'flatpak' and use that to run 3.14 (https://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html#flatpak). Though flatpak has some limitations as it runs in a sandbox...

HTH

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde