[Qgis-user] Font Awesome symbols in QGIS

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 15:53:41 PDT 2020

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 at 06:12, Jonathan Moules
<jonathan-lists at lightpear.com> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Following from the discussion about ESRI Fonts on the OSGeo list, I got
> to wondering... could QGIS include the Font Awesome symbols -
> https://fontawesome.com/icons ?
>
> It's not actually a font but a huge set of SVG's - 1,150 in fact
> (excludes the "brand" icons, which QGIS wouldn't want), most of which
> are pertinent to mapping.

I've previously looked into this set, but my honest thoughts are that
the vast majority of the icons have very limited use in mapping, and
would just be cluttering up the including symbol sets for little
value.

So while I'm all for expanding the set of including icons, I think
we'd need someone to go through and cherry-pick a only a subset of the
font awesome ones which are relevant for mapping purposes...

Nyall