[Qgis-user] Font Awesome symbols in QGIS

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Mon Jul 27 04:08:30 PDT 2020

Hi Richard, Nyall,

Richard, I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree.

I've not encountered the QGIS Resource Sharing plugin before, and I'm
not seeking to denigrate it, but it's not clear to me what the "QGIS
Resource Sharing" plugin does based on the description, nor is it likely
the sort of plugin I'd install. It also seems to be a case of needing to
download a plugin and then from within that plugin download something
else? So a kind of plugin within a plugin. It's turt^d^d plugins all the
way down! :-) I'm of the view plugins should be for solving specific
tasks, but that's a different thread. I definitely think a decent set of
cartographic symbols is something that should come as default,
especially as I doubt the vast majority of users add many, if any
plugins (the most popular plugins seem to be QuickMapServies at
1.5million downloads, with Semi-automated classification coming second
at 750k; no idea how many QGIS downloads there have been, but I'd be
surprised if it's not at least 10x that).

Also, the current symbology is so random: There's cycle parking and
cycle locking, but no cycle? No car but two taxis? Oh, and 5 (five!)
aeroplanes to choose from, and multiple types of train. And that's just
"transport". And *then* you've got another two aeroplanes under "GPS
icons" (which is also where a car is!). :-o

 > [Nyall] So while I'm all for expanding the set of including icons, I
think we'd need someone to go through and cherry-pick a only a subset of
the font awesome ones which are relevant for mapping purposes

I'd be happy to do that, though I'd note that what one person thinks is
useless, would be useful to another person. Sure I'm struggling to
conceive of a use for "alignment" or "bezier-curve", but a quick look
suggests probably over 50% would be potentially useful. Over 80% if you
remain open minded about how people use these things.

Cheers,

Jonathan