[Qgis-user] MS SQL Server, multi users and QGIS v3+

chris hermansen clhermansen at gmail.com
Tue May 5 09:38:01 PDT 2020

On Tue, May 5, 2020, 00:06 Johanna Botman <johannab at melton.vic.gov.au>
wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have a situation where there are three of us using QGIS v3.4 connecting
> to a Microsoft 2016 SQL Server to add and edit items to tables in the same
> database at the same time. And I’m growing old waiting for things to happen.
>

> When we were all in the office, we connected through the work network to
> the databases in the cloud and suffered some issues with delay that may be
> caused by internet speed. Now that we are all working from home, we have
> the added complexity of connecting to our home Wi-Fi then a VPN to the
> office before we then go out to the cloud.
>

> But now the bottom line is that no more than one user at a time can edit
> the tables. Responses are painfully slow and by mid-afternoon, QGIS is
> completely unresponsive.

Johanna, I'm struggling to understand your configuration here.

Are you working via some kind of remote desktop software? It sounds like it.

What is your theory as to why response time is worse in the afternoon? Is
your connection to your office being overloaded? Is your office's
connection to the cloud database also being overloaded? Do your IT support
people have any thoughts on why response is worse in the afternoon?

The reason I'm keying on this is that one possibility is that your network
infrastructure is slightly insufficient for the morning load and completely
insufficient for the afternoon load.

On the contrary, if your database is starved of resources, why is it worse
now than when you were working from the office? Again your IT people should
be able to look at log info or otherwise instrument your server to find out
if it's the problem (having suggested this I admit I wouldn't use SQL
Server and know nothing about tuning it).

Can you run a different configuration, say with QGIS on your home computer
and some kind of database proxy in your office, or even a direct connection
to the cloud database (assuming I've guessed your configuration correctly)?

> Users love to blame the software. That’s what they are interacting with,
> but I don’t believe that it is all QGIS’ problem. I’d prefer to blame a
> database that appears to not respond well to a multi user environment.

I'd be inclined to blame the network first, since that's what it sounds
like has changed.

Chris