[Qgis-user] Multi users environment: From geopackage to a database?

brunos at mailbox.org brunos at mailbox.org
Tue May 5 23:58:43 PDT 2020

Hi

In my company we are five people who sometimes work with GIS, and we are moving from ArcGIS to QGIS (how cool is QGIS and SLYR!) and in this context from ESRI file geodatabase to geopackage. Today we run into serious issues when two people worked with the same geopackage. I was aware, that it is dangerous and unwise to edit the same geopackage from two different computers at the same time. But I did not expect both QGIS applications to crash immediately and the geopackage to get corrupted. I hoped to get a warning or simply not be able to enter edit mode (We later found out, that the corrupted geopackage could be recoveredby by adding a new table, this somehow fixed it. Whew!).

Worse, I found that the same thing happens, when I open a QGIS project with a layer from a geopackage for display only (no edit mode), which is being edited by an other user on an other computer. Again, both QGIS application crashed immediately with data loss. Again, the non-responsive QGIS tasks could not be killed by windows taskmanager, only by restarting of the computers.

We are using QGIS 3.12.2 on Windows 10. The Geopackages are located on a samba network share.

My questions:

1. Is this setup that bad? Do you experience the same fatal consequences if someone loads a layer from a geopackage which is being edited by someone else? Is there something I do wrong or I that can do to improve the situation?

2. I realize, that we should probably move from geopackage to a database. Do we need PostGIS or can we use PostgreSQL? We don't need more functinality than a geopackage offers (exept multi user read/edit possibility and stability).

Many thanks for some hints that put me in the right direction!

Bruno