[Qgis-user] Multi users environment: From geopackage to a database?

Jésahel Benoist djes1975 at gmail.com
Wed May 6 01:41:38 PDT 2020

Hi Bruno,

I've worked a lot on this issue for two years now. I've started with sqlite
(that was faster and better) but finally I decided to migrate to
geopackage. It was painful at first but now it's OK. But it needs some
rules.

First, I've broken the original big geopackage files into smaller ones. The
users are advised to work only one by one on a specific thematic/file (read
access is possible).
I've created a script to deactivate wal on samba shares, because samba is
the main issue. It contains this only line :
QSettings().setValue("/qgis/walForSqlite3", False)
You should download some tools like Spatialite_GUI
and SQLiteDatabaseBrowser so that you can really work on the db and have
better control. QGIS's dbmanager is a bit limited and sometimes buggy for
sqlite/geopackage, especially with special chars.
Try to work with QGIS internal explorer, it's a tool that has good
export/import functions.
Backup files at least one time a day !

Now with the covid I have created my own online postgis server so that we
can work at home without "help" of IT department and it's GREAT.
Multi-user, faster, smaller, stronger (lol). And some nice capabilities
like spatial filtering ! I highly recommend this.

Questions for all : I've recently discovered this
https://gdal.org/user/virtual_file_systems.html#virtual-file-systems
Wouldn't it be possible to avoid samba's multi-users bug with vsi ?

Jésahel