[Qgis-user] Qgis-user Digest, Vol 171, Issue 17

Chavoux Luyt chavoux at gmail.com
Wed May 6 04:51:21 PDT 2020

Hi Bruno,

On Wed, 6 May 2020, 12:22 , <qgis-user-request at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Send Qgis-user mailing list -
> From: brunos at mailbox.org
> <snip>
> Subject: [Qgis-user] Multi users environment: From geopackage to a
> database?
>
> <snip>

> Today we run into serious issues when two people worked with the same
> geopackage. I was aware, that it is dangerous and unwise to edit the same
> geopackage from two different computers at the same time.

<snip>

> We are using QGIS 3.12.2 on Windows 10. The Geopackages are located on a
> samba network share.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1. Is this setup that bad? <snip>

Yes, it is if you have multiple users. Preventing these kinds of issues is
exactly why databases exist.

> 2. I realize, that we should probably move from geopackage to a database.
> Do we need PostGIS or can we use PostgreSQL? We don't need more
> functinality than a geopackage offers (exept multi user read/edit
> possibility and stability).

PostgreSQL comes with PostGIS as a standard  add-in. For GIS work you will
need PostGIS. I would say the primary reason for using PostgreSQL/PostGIS
_is_ for multi-user read/edits and stability. I must confess that as a
single computer single user I have never set up PostGIS or converted an
existing project to PostGIS, so I don't know how difficult the process is
(although from the help files it seems pretty straightforward), but I am
sure there are many others on this mailing list who can help if you get
stuck.

HTH

> Many thanks for some hints that put me in the right direction!
>
> Bruno

Cheers
Chavoux