[Qgis-user] combining fragmented forests (RMG)

Michael Harte mharte at ozemail.com.au
Wed May 6 15:38:46 PDT 2020

Reiko,

You could try something like this:

 1. Merge all forests into a single file (if you haven't already);
 2. Create a new field in the forests table called something like "border"
 3. Create lines that trace the panel boundaries, that separate the
    forests you want to join;
 4. Buffer each of those lines by some small distance  (try 1 meter);
 5. For each buffer "Select by location" all features in forests that
    intersect buffer;
 6. Use the field calculator in the table to enter a unique identifier
    for the selected features in the "border" field;
 7. Do this for each buffer;
 8. Dissolve the forest layer on the border field.

Feel free to get in touch.

Cheers,

Mike

Message: 1