[Qgis-user] vector point grid to raster grid -- pixel size does not work

Priv.-Doz. Dr. Maria Shinoto maria.shinoto at zaw.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue May 12 19:00:07 PDT 2020

Hi,

Thanks for helping. -- Thanks to you and Chris Hermansen I got a result, but it could be better.

For the records, a short explanation:

*****
Well, I checked the properties, jgd2011 is in Meters, the raster is said to be 5m. In the official Japanese viewer, which creates a beautiful raster image without white pixels, the pixels are exactly 5m*5m.

Today I tried the export to .xyz since the shapefile looked ugly, and after realising that the Japanese xyz is indeed yxz, everything looked fine, and I could store it in a Geopackage. But the grid is now 5,276m * 6,146m. But it fits well on top of the basemap. The basemap is of the same special Japanese GML format, but QGIS could read it all without problem. I do not understand why QGIS does not read the point data from  the GML fille, but that is an aside, I am amazed by what QGIS actually can do.

From the Geopackage I could rasterize. It is as Chris Hermansen said, thanks. Unfortunately, I did not get it done from the shapefiles, they always looked weird or like nothing, even with identical settings. But the geopackages from xyz tiles are fine.

For resolution, I chose georeferenced units as Chris suggested, and since the measurement tool got some different length, I put it to 5,276m by 6,146m. A 5m by 5m resolution created a weird layer with horizontally expanding white pixels.

It seems that tweaking with the resolution might lead to an even better result, but for the time being, it is OK as it is.
*****

Thanks again,
Maria