[Qgis-user] QGIS has the virus Hacktool.Win64.NirCMD.SM?

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu May 14 14:49:27 PDT 2020

Hi all,

This topic comes up every couple months, dating back almost a decade or
two. If you google for "QGIS nircmd virus" you will find plenty of
discussions around this topic, like this discussion thread from 2011:
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Re-Qgis-user-nircmd-flagged-as-a-virus-td4102707.html

QGIS is using nircmd to manage settings in .ini setting files, or other
smaller tasks useful during installation or launching of QGIS. See
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html

Unfortunately, AV software is frequently flagging legitimate software
asĀ  dangerous - they just do a really bad job! One can ask them to
investigate, then they fix it temporarily, but the next version will
bring up the same warning again ... it's kind of a tedious task trying
to fix such issues with AV software vendors. They like to scare users to
make their software seem relevant and important to their customers.

Greetings,

Andreas