[Qgis-user] wishing for accurate lattitude/longitude from a cell phone

Garth Fletcher garth at jacqcad.com
Sat May 23 22:18:29 PDT 2020

The situation I was working with involved 30 points, some involving long
hikes through the woods, spread around the periphery of a 36 square mile
area with heavy foliage and poor or non-existent cell phone coverage.
This precluded the use of any real-time reference base signals.
My solution thus was using a dual frequency GNSS receiver with 30+
minute observation times and post-processing to get to 1 meter accuracy.

However, if the problem had been one of accurately measuring points in a
smaller area, for example an archeological site, then relative
positioning would have been much more practical.  This would have been
done, at lower cost and higher accuracy, with a base plus rover unit
pair such as those described at https://emlid.com/reachrs/.  Or, if good
internet connection was available throughout the site, possibly with a
single rover plus connection to an external reference provider.

Regarding the question about where to locate the base unit, I would
guess that a location with wide clear view of the sky would be the first
priority, followed by good RF paths to all rover sites for the
correction signals from base to rover.
--
Garth Fletcher