[Qgis-user] wishing for accurate lattitude/longitude from a cell phone

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Mon May 25 11:56:34 PDT 2020

Hi,

Just my grain of salt...  I believe the latest move from QGIS to change
to a more recent version of the PROJ library (and to rely more on this
library), is seen as a way to move GIS from a cartographic quality GIS
to a Survey level precision GIS.  This is a good move but, as many have
seen on this list, not an easy one. Things seems to have calmed down
recently as people start understanding the error messages and as QGIS
adapted to user demands.

The only way, as I see it, that GARMIN  is "privatizing the geography",
as you nicely put it,  is by selling map to their map capable units.  It
would be nice to have the capability of uploading our own maps to those
units.  Apart from that, positions, waypoints   and tracks can be
uploaded and download with propitiatory and non propitiatory software.
I believe QGIS had a plugin capable of doing that with multiple consumer
level GPS but I have never used it.  Maybe they have been more
aggressive lately? I don't know.

As for the High resolution-precision problem, It's important to remember
that typical consumer level chips are not made to give you more than 2
to 10m precision.  This is not because of any effort on there part to
make the units less precise.  It's simply because of the way a position
is obtained by these units.  Using the same point and shoot method (or
Code Measurements instantaneous position determination), A 100,000,000$
GPS might give you a slightly better position but only because is has a
better internal clock and a better Geoid model.  In order to get a more
precise positions, professional GPS units use things like RTK, Dual
frequency, DGPS, but most importantly, they store the satellite
information for later use in a post-processing software.  These function
are simply not built or used in phones or consumer GPS devices. Any unit
using instantaneous position determination will always be plague by
orbital errors, satellite cloak errors, Ionospheric and troposphere
errors, multipath and receiver noise...  The only thing they can change
is the receiver clock and the antenna.  A technique called PPP, or
Precise Point Positioning is a technique were one uses a single GPS unit
to find precise position after a long observation.  Again, the most we
can do with consumer lever gps is to average out positions.  This is not
PPP which uses the rinex files stored in the unit, correct for clock and
ephemerides...

If you are interested in bringing High precision GPS to the table, I
suggest RTKlib (http://www.rtklib.com/) for post processing. Again, you
will need a deceive capable of storing the satellite information if you
want to do this.  A plugin from RTKlib to QGIS could be made it guess.
That would be nice.

Cheers!

Nicolas