[Qgis-user] wishing for accurate lattitude/longitude from a cell phone

j.huber at post-ist-da.de j.huber at post-ist-da.de
Mon May 25 13:28:39 PDT 2020

Hi,

while I agree that there are lots of bad examples of proprietary
formats, I want to say a few words to some of your examples:
It is true that OpenStreetMap data is difficult to handle -  this is not
because it is closed, but because it is open. When the project was
started the goal was to make it as easy as possible for people to
contribute to the dataset. Thus there are few restrictions which makes
it difficult to render or process the data. But the alternative would
probably have been to discuss the data format for years instead of
building an amazing open dataset...

While Garmin makes it difficult to upload custom maps to their units as
Nicolas wrote, many of their devices can be accessed as a USB drive and
waypoint/track data can simply be copied as .GPX-files. I have seen many
devices needing special software to transfer data, so this is actually easy.

When Google Earth first came to be, it was amazing - access to satellite
or aerial imagery had been expensive and difficult before. So I don't
have a problem with the fact that Google didn't make the data available
for everyone to use (probably license restrictions prohibit this).

Text files aren't often that simple - there are different encodings for
example which aren't advertised in the files, so you often have to guess
to get special characters right. They have no inbuilt validity checks,
so errors can not be easily recognised. In most use cases, structured
(XML) formats are preferable. And especially for large datasets, you get
much better performance and functionality using other formats like
Geopackage. The point in my opinion is that a format is open and well
documented.

Of course it is great if geodata is available to the public. In the EU,
there has been a lot of movement in the last years with more and more
data becoming available under open licenses, let's hope this continues.

Regards,
Jochen