[Qgis-user] Conection to gpkg in 365 office

Charles Dixon-Paver charles at kartoza.com
Wed Nov 4 07:20:16 PST 2020

I agree that OneDrive is probably the best approach.

In the datasource manager (ctrl+L) you can add data from a variety of
sources, using a number of protocols (http/ ftp etc), which might be
available depending on the Office 365 environment setup, but in terms of
actually establishing a "connection" in QGIS browser to a remote source, I
don't think this is possible for Geopackages. In addition, GPKG, afaik, is
not designed for concurrent connections and having multiple clients connect
simultaneously may cause problems down the line, so this strategy of "gpkg
in the cloud" is generally ill advised anyway.

If you really want to take this approach I strongly recommend uploading the
GPKG file to a centralised location (e.g. a SharePoint library), which can
then be "connected" to your personal OneDrive (last I checked this was
still a thing) and load it onto your device from OneDrive. Then you can use
the GPKG locally and have the changes synchronised automatically to other
users. I think having the data connection will also prevent the file from
using your personal "Office 365 Quota", but I might be wrong. Using
"Check-In/ Check-Out" will also prevent data collisions, loss, or other
errors.

If you are on Linux and want to sync with OneDrive, there are third party
clients available [1], but your mileage may vary. Alternatively, set up
OneDrive on a Windows box and share the sync directory as a local network
share which can be mounted to your machine(s) directly.

1. https://github.com/abraunegg/onedrive