[Qgis-user] QGIS crashing to desktop, doesn't make log file, how to investigate?

Sean Batt seanbatt at me.com
Thu Nov 5 00:18:53 PST 2020

[sorry if you see this twice; I sent from my work account a couple of days ago, but it’s awaiting moderation due to my big corporate signature]

Dear QGIS Users,

I am running QGIS 3.16.0 on Windows 2016 Server 2019 Datacenter, loading an Oracle layer then running Check Validity from the Vector geometry section of the Processing Toolbox.

QGIS crashes-to-desktop without leaving an error message. I would like to be able to find a work-around or at least provide more info for a bug report, but the instructions I’ve found for creating log files (set QGIS_LOG_FILE and QGIS_DEBUG in the Options -> System -> Environment Variables) have not worked. The Windows Event Log seems unhelpful, saying only:

Faulting application name: qgis-bin.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f9304c8
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17763.1518, time stamp: 0xff301d3c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000396c9
Faulting process id: 0x12b4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6b0b7a76af475
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\QGIS 3.16\bin\qgis-bin.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 26e55c5c-5042-4c60-a353-2a8c72434bce
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I can’t say I’ve ever found a 0xc00000005 error particularly solvable.

I’ve just checked QGIS 3.14.16-Pi and it just works as it is supposed to, so at least I have my work-around.

So, how to be a good open source citizen and provide good Issue text? I thought “log file!” but maybe there’s another way?

If QGIS_LOG_FILE is the way to go (and it may not be as that string isn’t in the documentation as far as I can tell) can anyone help me set it more firmly than in the Environment Variables section of the Options?

Best Regards,

Sean