[Qgis-user] QGIS crashing to desktop, doesn't make log file, how to investigate?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Nov 5 01:12:10 PST 2020

Hi Sean,

If you install QGIS nightlies (so development version: the qgis-dev package in osgeo4w) you get a QGIS build with QGSDEBUG (according to [1]).

On windows (and setting the environment variable QGIS_DEBUG to eg 5 ) you can then see the debug info if you install Microsoft Debugview you can see the debug messages of QGIS and maybe spot better where it fails [2].

Note that this is often data-related. So best if you can pin this down to some part (record) of your dataset.
IF you then could make this small dataset available for testing in an issue, people could try to reproduce it.

Also note that currently I introduced an oracle issue, when you load a layer via the browser [0], but I'm working on it.
For FOSS developers with (often) no access to Oracle databases it is harder to fix this. I just learned (see [1] that I can run a docker with an Oracle db in it here locally)...

Maybe a small funding project would be an option, to get a core dev more familiar with Oracle and oracle-qgis code could try to invest some time in the open Oracle issues [4]

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

[0] http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/How-to-see-log-debug-messages-in-Osgeo4W-installer-qgis-dev-td5047542.html