[Qgis-user] Deploy maps/data to clients - web map solutions or other?

Tony Shepherd (FarmMaps NZ) tony at farmmaps.nz
Mon Nov 9 11:54:08 PST 2020

Hi All

I'm after some advice/discussion around how others are sharing data/maps
with clients.

I mainly work in the agricultural/forestry area.  So I create maps, some
clients have very large farms, so many maps cover the farm with all sorts of
data from water schemes, health and safety hazards info, fenceline,
contours, aerial photos etc etc.

How are others deploying this data to clients other than traditional
PDF/paper maps?

It would be easy to install GQIS and do some training etc, but it's a bit
daunting for a non GIS user to use QGIS for simple zoom, info tool, measure
line etc.  If it's not easy then non-tech people just won't use it.

I see there are a few Web GIS exporting add-ins for QGIS available.  Does
anybody have any particular success stories in sharing data with clients
using any of these solutions or perhaps other similar solutions available
elsewhere?

As I see it the ability to turn on and off layers and labels, measure an
area or distance, zoom in and out, view aerial photography, print WYSIWIG
would be a minimum.

Something open source is preferable so it's as little a cost to the client
as possible but an easy way to deliver and use and add value to the data
that they have paid for.

Cheers

Tony

Tony Shepherd  |  GeoSpatial / Mapping Manager

Ph 027 435 6193  |  E  <mailto:tony at farmmaps.nz> tony at farmmaps.nz

FarmMaps NZ, 3 Kerwood Place, Gore 9740

 <http://tonyshepherd8.wixsite.com/home>
<https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ISTLGORE