[Qgis-user] Populating field from another table automatically when capturing data

Theunis Morgenthal tlmorgenthal at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 07:57:09 PST 2020

Good day

I am using QGIS3.14 Pi.

*Populating field with value from another table automatically when
Capturing data*

I want to automate an attribute field based on the value from previous
attributes.
I have a point feature  in a GeoPackage with WorkType and Work Detail
fields which I have created value relations and it works great.  For
the next field I want to specify the unit of measurement for example I have
a Class "Borehole" -  subclass "Drilling" my Unit of measurement is "PSI".
The behaviour I am looking for is when I select the WorkType the Unit of
measurement will be filled in automatically.

[image: image.png]

In a second attribute table I have a list of WorkTypes and WorkDetails and
the Unit of Measurement which I am linking to from value relations.  How do
I autofill the Unit field based on the selected Class in the first
attribute table?

Sorry I tried to search for an answer but could not find something that
suits my limited knowledge.

I guess my answer lies with the Default Expression  option but do not know
how to set it up properly.  I tried the attribute function:
attribute(@TableWorkDetail,'Units') but the field remains blank.  Also I
have ticked Apply default value on update.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated

Regards

Theunis