[Qgis-user] Qgis-user Digest, Vol 175, Issue 18

Charles Dixon-Paver charles at kartoza.com
Thu Sep 10 12:23:12 PDT 2020

I just wanted to chime in here and say that if you are just viewing large
raster datasets and not necessarily "processing" (performing raster
analysis etc) then your bottleneck is probably not going to be CPU/ RAM but
will rather be related to disk IO. If you are reading in large files from
external drives or cloud storage etc under operational conditions it will
almost certainly be causing performance issues.

I agree that getting your vector datasets in order as Andreas suggested
(spatial index etc) is going to be of great benefit to you, but I would
like to state that perhaps investing in some decent storage (large format
SSD or an external solid state drive with a high speed connection port like
thunderbolt 3/ USB 4) and doing some raster preprocessing may have a marked
improvement in your mapping experience, even on limited hardware.

I would suggest collecting all your relevant imagery into a collection of
compressed and optimised raster format (I suggest MRF, but I have not used
them extensively in the QGIS ecosystem and maybe someone else has a better
option) so that you can condense your already expansive imagery collection
onto a high speed disk and retain the original data for posterity (if you
convert Geotiff to MRF it will be a fraction of the size depending on your
settings. Run some tests, but you shouldn't need anywhere near the same
amount of high speed drive storage).

It may work out a lot cheaper in the long run to spend a bit extra on some
good storage, but without more detailed information on your requirements
it's hard to say what is needed. If you only occasionally do heavy
processing work, you can always try to schedule it for overnight/ weekend
batches so that it's computer time intensive, or there's always the
possibility (depending on your situation) to offload the computation
requirements to a service platform (although the bandwidth implications for
raster processing usually make this rather difficult).