[Qgis-user] QGIS-3 single line/point layers from hand-written co-ordinates

Kirk Schmidt kirk at nortekresources.com
Mon Apr 19 07:46:31 PDT 2021

Hi John:

Yes, life is too short to waste time.  I would add the lat/long into a
spreadsheet or simple ascii text file.  This way, you can double check
your entries and once you are ready, you can bring them into QGIS as a
*.txt or *.csv file.

A simple text format would be :

1,45.3741, -62.1548

where 1 is the point id and the next is the longitude and latitude.
These values are separated by a comma, however a semi colon or tab would
work as well.  You can also reverse the lat/long if it is easier for you.

Instructions on how to import the file and convert it to a spatila layer
are found at: (I know, another tutorial)

https://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/3/importing_spreadsheets_csv.html

If your coordinates are in degrees/minutes, you can use them as well.
Reach out to me and I can give you the correct syntax if you need it.

Kirk Schmidt

On 4/19/2021 11:36 AM, John Moyle wrote:
> I am a retired Chartered Engineer, Physician and Anaesthetist!. In
> retirement I have completed a PhD "The Maintenance of the Victorian
> Submarine Telegraph Cable System".  I want to correlate N Atlantic
> cable interruptions with geological events of that era. I have found a
> raster-file of the sea bed and a shape file of the tectonic plate
> boundaries. Fantastic! Now I want to make separate point or line
> layers for each interruption, volcano, earthquake and landslide.  I
> have all the data in lat/long, hand written in a notebook whilst
> searching the archives at the National Maritime Museum.
> My problem is that all QGIS-3 courses take  many hours turning one
> into a town and country planner before the simple layers I want to
> make!  At 75, life is too short. I want to input the co-ordinates, by
> hand, layer by layer. Can anyone give me step by step instructions please.
> Thank you
> John Moyle

Kirk Schmidt, MScF, BScF, RPF
General Manager