[Qgis-user] Breaking a territory into zones

Jason Aleksi jason.aleski at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 14:29:57 PDT 2021

Can someone point me in the right direction?  I am not sure what I should
be searching for in reference to the task below.

I work for a non-profit organization.  Up to this point, my limited GIS
knowledge has been focused around plotting and integrating data with qGIS.
I am tasked with finding a way to analyze the data and build "zones" within
a territory based on the data with a street line center file.  I have
searched for building zones, districts, territories, heatmaps, spatial
statistics, voting districts, etc. I found some information relating to
ESRI Business Analyst, but that was specific to ArcMap and did not point
me in a related direction.

Here is the data I have:

   - Centerline File from the State GIS Office
   - US Census Block Level data from 2010
   - Various boundary files from the State GIS Office

What I am trying to do is break an territory up into 5 zones.  Each zone
should have an equal number of residents.  Zone borders are limited to the
edges of the territory.  Within the territory, zone borders should follow
the nearest street centerline.

Can anyone offer a better direction, keywords to search for, or a feature I
should look at within qGIS?

-JA-