[Qgis-user] background data

David Galt davidlgalt.gis+qlist at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 00:16:43 PDT 2021

One more potential solution. QGIS has recently added support for vector
tiles. Vector tiles have the scaling benefits of standard image map tiles
while still behaving kind of like vector layers.

Add the ESRI World Basemap by creating a new vector tile service connection
(in the browser) and for the Service URL enter:

https://basemaps.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/World_Basemap_v2/VectorTileServer
.

What will come up will look exactly like Esri's standard basemap, but go to
the properties and you'll have the option to turn on and off layers and
labels. So if you just want the streets, or the oceans or the city name
labels you can uncheck everything else.