[Qgis-user] OpenStreetMap Standard XYZ WMS exported to PDF is too small

Bruno Streit brunos at mailbox.org
Tue Aug 24 05:24:41 PDT 2021

Hi everyone

When I use OpenStreetMap standard xyz WMS layer in QGIS 3.16.8 or 3.20.1, create a layout and export it as PDF, the scale and especially the text is too small. I discovered that the size of the text (street names, etc.) depends on the export resolution in dpi, as shown here (answer 2):
https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/276323/qgis-3-0-xyz-tile-openstreetmap-text-is-too-small-to-see

Indeed, scale and text size are fine if the export resolution is set to 72 dpi. But 72 is way too low: the layer gets blurry and pixelated.

I am aware that for a good picture, I must use an OSM standard-scale (1:15'000, 1:35'000) as shown in answer 1 of the post linked above.

In ArcMap it works.

Is this a bug (I think so)? Any hints? Should I create an issue on github?
Any help is apprechiated.
Bruno

Bruno Streit
Bahnstrasse 163