[Qgis-user] OpenStreetMap Standard XYZ WMS exported to PDF is too small

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Aug 24 06:48:33 PDT 2021

Bruno Streit <brunos at mailbox.org> writes:

> When I use OpenStreetMap standard xyz WMS layer in QGIS 3.16.8 or
> 3.20.1, create a layout and export it as PDF, the scale and especially
> the text is too small. I discovered that the size of the text (street
> names, etc.) depends on the export resolution in dpi, as shown here
> (answer 2):
> https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/276323/qgis-3-0-xyz-tile-openstreetmap-text-is-too-small-to-see
>
> Indeed, scale and text size are fine if the export resolution is set to 72 dpi. But 72 is way too low: the layer gets blurry and pixelated.

I think the basic problem is that you are using a prerendered image
which is designed for viewing on a screen.  The scale determines both
font sizes and what is shown or not shown, and the text is pre-rendered
in the tiles.

What you want, I think, is a higher-resolution generation of tiles,
rather than to increase the resolution at which you are showing the
tiles.

I would advise that you try to really understand what ArcMap is doing,
and be able to explain what "works" means in a really crisp way.

Perhaps they are using one resolution for the WMS and another for the
rest of the data.