[Qgis-user] OpenStreetMap Standard XYZ WMS exported to PDF is too small

Hugh Kelley hghklly at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 08:10:57 PDT 2021

Is it possible that some settings in the OSM tile server have recently
changed?

I have noticed (maybe over the last few months) that the labels are very
small, similar to what Bruno is describing and I believe that I had
previously not noticed this as a problem, which makes me wonder whether
something has changed.

Here is a helpful resource for exploring free xyz tile options from a
variety of sources:
https://leaflet-extras.github.io/leaflet-providers/preview/

On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 9:48 AM Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:

> Bruno Streit <brunos at mailbox.org> writes:
>
> > When I use OpenStreetMap standard xyz WMS layer in QGIS 3.16.8 or
> > 3.20.1, create a layout and export it as PDF, the scale and especially
> > the text is too small. I discovered that the size of the text (street
> > names, etc.) depends on the export resolution in dpi, as shown here
> > (answer 2):
> >
> https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/276323/qgis-3-0-xyz-tile-openstreetmap-text-is-too-small-to-see
> >
> > Indeed, scale and text size are fine if the export resolution is set to
> 72 dpi. But 72 is way too low: the layer gets blurry and pixelated.
>
> I think the basic problem is that you are using a prerendered image
> which is designed for viewing on a screen.  The scale determines both
> font sizes and what is shown or not shown, and the text is pre-rendered
> in the tiles.
>
> What you want, I think, is a higher-resolution generation of tiles,
> rather than to increase the resolution at which you are showing the
> tiles.
>

> I would advise that you try to really understand what ArcMap is doing,
> and be able to explain what "works" means in a really crisp way.
>
> Perhaps they are using one resolution for the WMS and another for the
> rest of the data.

Hugh Kelley