[Qgis-user] Detail-level of exported maps

Sebastian Gutwein bas at rdgland.com
Fri Feb 5 06:24:28 PST 2021

Fred,
This is in my experience a limitation of the online basemaps. They are not
designed for printing.
As mentioned earlier you can use the map tiler plugin
https://www.maptiler.com/qgis-plugin/ to add vector tile maps. This has 2
advantages.
First if you print at 72 dpi the labels will still be crisp because they
are vectors. This does not help if you also have a raster layer because now
it will be low resolution.
Second you have control over the styles. This means you can make all of the
adjustment to label size in the style tab of the vector tile.

I have gone as far as creating a style with a project variable that I can
adjust the scale of the vector tile style tile at any point.

   1.

   First add tile_zoom_mag as a project property
   2.

   If you set iit to 1- you will see it as you would expect. For 150dpi
   something like 2 might be better. If it is set to a high number in the map
   and layout view before printing it will look wrong.

   1.

   To create the style I added @tile_zoom_mag * (original expression) in
   front of all the size expressions for line work.
   2.

   For label size and lines that did not have an expression I used @value
   *@tile_zoom_mag. This takes the currently set value and multiplies it by
   the tile_zoom_mag variable.