[Qgis-user] Unreadable streetnames during export as image from print composer

Sebastian Gutwein bas at rdgland.com
Fri Feb 12 06:37:48 PST 2021

As Silvio said this is a limitation of the online basemaps. They are not
designed for printing.
As Sivlio mentioned the size is determined by the export resolution In your
Layout window try setting your output resolution under
*layout>properties>export
settings* to 96dpi. This will make your labels the right size but any
rasters you have will be fuzzy.

If rasters being fuzzy is a problem then it is good that you are using
Maptiler because it gives you control over the styles. This means you can
make all of the adjustment to label size in the style tab of the vector
tile. If you are printing at 300 dpi make them 3 times larger than you
think you need.
They will look way too big in QGIS but when you print them they will be the
right size.

I have gone as far as creating a style with a project variable that I can
adjust the scale of the vector tile style tile at any point.

   1.

   First add tile_zoom_mag as a project property
   2.

   If you set iit to 1- you will see it as you would expect. For 150dpi
   something like 2 might be better. If it is set to a high number in the map
   and layout view before printing it will look wrong.

   1.

   To create the style I added @tile_zoom_mag * (original expression) in
   front of all the size expressions for line work.
   2.

   For label size and lines that did not have an expression I used @value
   *@tile_zoom_mag. This takes the currently set value and multiplies it by
   the tile_zoom_mag variable.