[Qgis-user] Symbology blank

Thayer Young thayeray at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 17 12:37:48 PST 2021

 Hi Ruby,
Building on the answers of the others:
1)  You may not have any geometry in your layers, so there is nothing to display in the symbology because there is no geometry type.     a) For example if you only have an attribute table, for example the '.dbf' of a shape file, or a text file like a '.csv' file, or the text file has been imported without geometry, in which case you need to open it again.     b) You may have done the join in reverse. You may have joined the geometry layer to the attribute/text layer. That would result in there being no geometry.          i) Open the other properties dialog of the other layer and see if there is something in the symbology tab.             a) If so remove the join from the first layer, and do the join from the other layer instead.             b) adjust the symbology in whichever order you see fee it will not make a difference.            c) if not you may not have any geometry, so there is no spatial information to display symbology for.
2) If you look at the top of Properties dialog do you see a drop down menu that says "No Symbols" and a line of text in the middle of the dialog that says "No symbols will be rendered for features in this layer." In that case you just need to switch the dropdown menu to your desired display type that is appropriate for the data type of the fields (see Richard's answer).
3) Kirk's answer is not applicable :-), since a layer with geometry but no features should still have adjustable symbology.
-Thayer