[Qgis-user] getting a base map from Mapbox

Stephen Sacks ssacks456 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 18:42:58 PST 2021

Hi Jorge,
     Thanks for your reply to my request for help in getting a base map
from Mapbox.
     I'm using QGIS  3.10.12 - A Coruna on a plain vanilla Dell desktop
running Windows 10.
    When I click on the link in your message my Chrome browser opens a
tab showing hundreds of lines of HTML, among which I see frequently my
Mapbox user ID (profSacks).  So I guess that proves that something is
availble to the public.
    More importantly when I copy the URL from the message you sent and
paste it into the URL in the QGIS new layer dialog and click Connect it
WORKS !   I have added the Mapbox satellite layer to my QGIS map.  I can
see the buildings in and around our park.
    Can you explain why I succeeded using your URL but not mine ?
    I'm grateful for your help, but now I need to understand.
       Thanks.
            Steve