[Qgis-user] getting a base map from Mapbox

Jorge Gustavo Rocha jgr at geomaster.pt
Thu Feb 18 15:24:22 PST 2021

Hi Stephen,

I worked for me. I added the WMS entry using the browser panel with your
own data. Then I connected and the capabilities were retrieved. I added
the layer and it works.

Did you try the URL on the browser? This should be enough to retrieve
the capabilities using a browser:
https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/profsacks/ckl8hw2rm53v918o7e09ig6mq/wmts?access_token=pk.eyJ1IjoicHJvZnNhY2tzIiwiYSI6ImNrbDhnaHFlZTBhb2Yyb25sMThvMTNsd2kifQ.E7N3o-toUEV01DBOt1-FPw&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetCapabilities

I'm using last QGIS version, but this should work on almost every QGIS
version.

You can see more details about the requests sent to the server by
enabling the panel "Debuggin/Development Tools". The click on the record
button.

Can you try once more? Can you tell us your QGIS version and OS version?

Good luck,

Jorge

Às 22:38 de 18/02/21, Stephen Sacks escreveu:
> For the first time, I'm trying to use a map from Mapbox as a base map
> in QGIS.  I opened an account at Mapbox.com and made a map there using
> their "Satellite streets."    I clicked Publish and chose Publicly
> available.  I copied that map's Style URL and Access token and plugged
> them and my Mapbox username into what I believe is the correct
> endpoint template.  Then back at my desktop QGIS, I clicked  Layer >
> Add Layer >Add WMS/WMTS layer > new .  Then I entered a name and
> plugged in my custom endpoint URL.  Then I clicked OK and saw at the
> bottom "93546 of 93546 bytes of capabilities downloaded."  Then I
> clicked Connect and got the following message:  "Failed to download
> capabilities".
>   I'd be grateful if someone will tell me what I'm doing wrong.
> Thanks, Steve
>
> Here are the specifics.
> 1. Source of instructions:
>         https://docs.mapbox.com/help/tutorials/mapbox-arcgis-qgis/
> 2. endpoint template from tutorial:
>
> https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/YOUR_USERNAME/YOUR_STYLE_ID/wmts?access_token=pk.eyJ1IjoicHJvZnNhY2tzIiwiYSI6ImNrbDhnaHFlZTBhb2Yyb25sMThvMTNsd2kifQ.E7N3o-toUEV01DBOt1-FPw
>
> 3. endpoint URL with my personal specifics plugged in:
>
> https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/profSacks/ckl8hw2rm53v918o7e09ig6mq/wmts?access_token=pk.eyJ1IjoicHJvZnNhY2tzIiwiYSI6ImNrbDhnaHFlZTBhb2Yyb25sMThvMTNsd2kifQ.E7N3o-toUEV01DBOt1-FPw
>
> 4. error message:
>      Failed to download capabilities:  Download of capabilities
> failed: Error transferring
> https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/profsacks/ckl8hw2rm53v918o7e09ig6mq/wmts?
> access_token=pk.eyJ1IjoicHJvZnNhY2tzIiwiYSI6ImNrbDhnaHFlZTBhb2Yyb25sMThvMTNsd2kifQ.E7N3o-toUEV01DBOt1-FPw&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetCapabilities
> - server replied: Not Found

Email Signature
Logo <https://www.geomaster.pt>
*Geomaster*
*Jorge Gustavo Rocha* | Software Engineer
*e:*jgr at geomaster.pt | *m:*+351 910 333 888
*g:*41.54094,-8.40490 | *v: *510 906 109
*a: * Rua António Cândido Pinto, 67, 4715-400 Braga