[Qgis-user] getting a base map from Mapbox

Stephen Sacks ssacks456 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 14:38:42 PST 2021

For the first time, I'm trying to use a map from Mapbox as a base map in
QGIS.  I opened an account at Mapbox.com and made a map there using
their "Satellite streets."    I clicked Publish and chose Publicly
available.  I copied that map's Style URL and Access token and plugged
them and my Mapbox username into what I believe is the correct endpoint
template.  Then back at my desktop QGIS, I clicked  Layer > Add Layer
 >Add WMS/WMTS layer > new .  Then I entered a name and plugged in my
custom endpoint URL.  Then I clicked OK and saw at the bottom "93546 of
93546 bytes of capabilities downloaded."  Then I clicked Connect and got
the following message:  "Failed to download capabilities".
   I'd be grateful if someone will tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks,
Steve

Here are the specifics.
1. Source of instructions:
         https://docs.mapbox.com/help/tutorials/mapbox-arcgis-qgis/
2. endpoint template from tutorial:
https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/YOUR_USERNAME/YOUR_STYLE_ID/wmts?access_token=pk.eyJ1IjoicHJvZnNhY2tzIiwiYSI6ImNrbDhnaHFlZTBhb2Yyb25sMThvMTNsd2kifQ.E7N3o-toUEV01DBOt1-FPw

3. endpoint URL with my personal specifics plugged in:
https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/profSacks/ckl8hw2rm53v918o7e09ig6mq/wmts?access_token=pk.eyJ1IjoicHJvZnNhY2tzIiwiYSI6ImNrbDhnaHFlZTBhb2Yyb25sMThvMTNsd2kifQ.E7N3o-toUEV01DBOt1-FPw

4. error message:
      Failed to download capabilities:  Download of capabilities failed:
Error transferring
https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/profsacks/ckl8hw2rm53v918o7e09ig6mq/wmts?
access_token=pk.eyJ1IjoicHJvZnNhY2tzIiwiYSI6ImNrbDhnaHFlZTBhb2Yyb25sMThvMTNsd2kifQ.E7N3o-toUEV01DBOt1-FPw&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetCapabilities
- server replied: Not Found