[Qgis-user] Creating ensemble and aggregates from netCDF

Thiemo Kellner thiemo at gelassene-pferde.biz
Thu Jan 28 23:30:30 PST 2021

Hi all

I have downloaded climate forecast raster data in NetCDF 3.6 format
(https://nedlasting.nve.no/klimadata/kss) for a series of models and
time resolution of one day. The data is one file per model.
Eventually, I would like to have an ensemble file with aggregated data
over the time axis, e.g. monthly or quarterly. Maybe it gets clearer
when I just list some names of the files I have:

rcp85_CNRM_CCLM_RR_daily_mm_2100.nc
rcp85_CNRM_RCA_RR_daily_mm_2100.nc
rcp85_EC-EARTH_CCLM_RR_daily_mm_2100.nc

I expect all the files to have the same extent and resolution;
gdalinfo excerpts of arbitrary two files https://pastebin.com/UtxXDDGp
support my assumption.

Being a complete noob, I assume that the ensemble would just be the
arithmetic average, but I do not know how to average the "payload"
axis of rasters over different layers nor over its time series/bands.

I have not been able to find guidance on ecosia.org or the
documentation and also tried to employ PostGIS for this, but I am
stuck there as much as I am with QGIS.

I heard that this was possible only with GRASS GIS but that its
integration into QGIS was behind the required GRASS GIS version to do
ensembles. Is that true and if so, would it be possible to place a
bounty to have someone do the required integration?

I would appreciate guidance very much.

Kind regards

Thiemo

--
S/MIME Public Key: https://oc.gelassene-pferde.biz/index.php/s/eJuAUFONag6ofnH
Signal (Safer than WhatsApp): +49 1578 7723737