[Qgis-user] Creating ensemble and aggregates from netCDF

Saber Razmjooei saber.razmjooei at lutraconsulting.co.uk
Thu Jan 28 23:36:53 PST 2021

Hi Thiemo,

Have you tried to open your netcdf file as a mesh layer (as opposed to
Raster):
https://docs.qgis.org/3.16/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_mesh/mesh_properties.html

For basic calculations, you can use the mesh calculator in QGIS which has
aggregate functions. But for more advanced tools, I recommend CDO:
https://cds.climate.copernicus.eu/toolbox/doc/how-to/14_how_to_resample_and_aggregate/14_how_to_resample_and_aggregate.html

Kind regards
Saber

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 at 07:30, Thiemo Kellner <thiemo at gelassene-pferde.biz>
wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have downloaded climate forecast raster data in NetCDF 3.6 format
> (https://nedlasting.nve.no/klimadata/kss) for a series of models and
> time resolution of one day. The data is one file per model.
> Eventually, I would like to have an ensemble file with aggregated data
> over the time axis, e.g. monthly or quarterly. Maybe it gets clearer
> when I just list some names of the files I have:
>
> rcp85_CNRM_CCLM_RR_daily_mm_2100.nc
> rcp85_CNRM_RCA_RR_daily_mm_2100.nc
> rcp85_EC-EARTH_CCLM_RR_daily_mm_2100.nc
>
> I expect all the files to have the same extent and resolution;
> gdalinfo excerpts of arbitrary two files https://pastebin.com/UtxXDDGp
> support my assumption.
>
> Being a complete noob, I assume that the ensemble would just be the
> arithmetic average, but I do not know how to average the "payload"
> axis of rasters over different layers nor over its time series/bands.
>
> I have not been able to find guidance on ecosia.org or the
> documentation and also tried to employ PostGIS for this, but I am
> stuck there as much as I am with QGIS.
>
> I heard that this was possible only with GRASS GIS but that its
> integration into QGIS was behind the required GRASS GIS version to do
> ensembles. Is that true and if so, would it be possible to place a
> bounty to have someone do the required integration?
>
> I would appreciate guidance very much.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Thiemo
>
> --
> S/MIME Public Key:
> https://oc.gelassene-pferde.biz/index.php/s/eJuAUFONag6ofnH
> Signal (Safer than WhatsApp): +49 1578 7723737
> Threema (Safer than WhatsApp): A76MKH3J
> Handys: +41 78 947 36 21 | +49 1578 772 37 37
>

> --
> S/MIME Public Key:
> https://oc.gelassene-pferde.biz/index.php/s/eJuAUFONag6ofnH
> Signal (Safer than WhatsApp): +49 1578 7723737
> Threema (Safer than WhatsApp): A76MKH3J
> Handys: +41 78 947 36 21 | +49 1578 772 37 37

Saber Razmjooei
www.lutraconsulting.co.uk