[Qgis-user] Problem using Model Inputs variable in an Select by expression in the model Designer

Nicolas Cadieux njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 22:17:25 PDT 2021

Hi,

I am creating a model that fixes Network files before they are used in
the QGIS Network analysis (Shortest path) tools.

This is my work flow:

 1. Create a "Length" field (value) and calculate $length in the field
    calculator
 2. Split the Multipart lines into Singlepart lines
 3. Create a "Length*2*" field (value) and calculate $length in the
    field calculator
 4. Select by expression Length != Length2.  This basically gives me a
    selection of line that have been modified by the Multipart to
    Singlepart algorithm. (I get 8 results)

This works well

The problem is when I create and Input String to let the user create a
"Length" field.  This become a variable called @NamelengthField. My work
flow become:

 1. User input "Length" in the Model input. (@NamelengthField)
 2. Create a "Length" field using  @NamelengthField (as pre-calculated
    value) and calculate $length in the field calculator: This is OK
 3. Split the Multipart lines into Singlepart lines: This is OK
 4. Create a "Length2" field using  @NamelengthField ||'2'  (as
    pre-calculated value) and calculate $length in the field calculator:
    This is OK this field (Length2) is created and calculated properly.
 5. I get stuck  when I try Select by expression using @NamelengthField
    != @NamelengthField || '2' (as pre-calculated value) (I get all
    lines back) and the test does not work.

I tried stuff like