[Qgis-user] Select by Expression: exclusive (not inclusive)

Andy Harfoot ajph at geodata.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jul 28 07:22:41 PDT 2021

I have just tried this whilst working with some Openstreetmap data
downloaded using the OSM Downloader plugin, and loaded into QGIS
(3.16.9) directly from the .osm XML file.

The 'osm lines' layer has a highway attribute with 16 unique values and
NULLs. Using Select by Expression with the following:

  "highway" NOT IN ( 'bridleway' , 'cycleway' , 'footway' )

correctly selected rows with different values to these, but not the NULL
rows. To include NULLS, try this:

  coalesce( "highway",'') NOT IN ( 'bridleway' , 'cycleway' , 'footway' )

Creating a virtual layer using the following SQL:

SELECT * FROM "osm lines" WHERE highway NOT IN ( 'bridleway' , 'cycleway' , 'footway' )

Returned the same set of rows as the first expression, again without the
NULLs.

These results are what I would expect, I am not sure why yours differ.

Cheers,

Andy

On 07/07/2021 08:23, Andrew Hughes wrote:
> *CAUTION:* This e-mail originated outside the University of Southampton.
> Hi All,
>
> I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't "Select all features
> that are *_NOT_* an alley, drive-through, driveway.... "
>
> I am trying to use "Select by Expression".
>
> The attribute I am trying to filter with is called "tag_service" and
> has 77 distinct values, including NULL.
>
> *Q: Why does this expression select nothing?*
>
>     /"tag_service" NOT IN ('alley', 'drive-through', 'driveway',
>     'laneway', 'parking_aisle', 'parking')/
>

> Supplementary, the following does select records (but I want the above
> expression to work):
>
>     /"tag_service" IS NULL or "tag_service" = "service"/
>

> Help would be much appreciated,
>
> Thank you
> Andrew

Andy Harfoot