[Qgis-user] Layer actions in one clic ?

Didier Peeters didierp.ulb at disroot.org
Fri Jul 30 07:48:55 PDT 2021

Dear QGIS users,

I have been using actions in QGIS for years and I find them very useful and much easier to create than plugins. As a reminder, they can have 4 different scopes, which are 'Field', 'Feature', 'Layer' and 'Canvas'.

However, there is one thing I don't understand: when choosing 'Canvas', it is always necessary to click on an layer element after choosing the action to be used in the attributes toolbar (with the action button - the little wheel). Why is this? Wouldn't it be easier to immediately trigger an action by clicking on its name in the toolbar?
In particular, I have defined a Python action that fetches a file containing data to be imported into a database, with no specific link to a particular entity.

So, have I misunderstood the use of the action? Am I missing something?

Or maybe better, would it be possible to have actions not related to any layer ?

Didier