[Qgis-user] Bathymetry data area coverage calculator

Charles Dixon-Paver charles at kartoza.com
Sat Jul 31 11:01:09 PDT 2021

I think you will need to provide more information on describing the input
data, as well as how exactly you wish to process it.

If your coverage data is vector areas you should be able to simply use the
aggregate processing tool using $area as the source expression and
stipulate a sum aggregate function. You may also use the grouping function
to filter the results as needed using an expression.

This would provide the area based on map units, so you would need to
reproject your data into a relevant metric projection before performing the
aggregation. A single hectare is simply 10000 m² so simple arithmetic will
allow you to convert metric areas to hectares.

If your data is another vector data type such as point clouds, you may need
to buffer or calculate a minimum bounding geometry or convex hull before
processing it as the area calculation will of course only work on area
features.

For raster data, the total area would be a simple calculation of the
extents, or the dimensions and cell size. Again, you may need to reproject
the data for it to be available in meters.

If, however, you wish to segregate raster data based on cell value, you may
want to recode and vectorize the data, or alternatively perform some form
of custom analysis as described in the following article:
https://www.kartoza.com/en/blog/calculating-area-of-rasters-in-qgis/

Regards