[Qgis-user] (re)colloring overlapping parts of multipolygons

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sat Jun 19 07:45:51 PDT 2021

Hi List,

I'm experimenting to create 'flower'-shaped polygons for a point layer, denoting the signal coverage of several directional radio transmitters on a pole (fyi: to find/locate bats with small transmitters).

After some fiddling I came to the attached result for a point with 3 (but dynamic from attribute) transmitters using the following expression:

 collect_geometries(
 array_foreach( string_to_array("azimuths"),
 make_circle( make_point(
		$x + "bereik_m"/2 * cos(radians(@element)),
		$y + "bereik_m"/2* sin(radians(@element))), "bereik_m" )
		))

The result being a multipolygon with overlapping parts.

In this work the overlapping area'a are (apparently) the most interesting, as there the 'location' accuracy is highest.

So my question: is there a way to give the overlapping area's really different colors.
I've been playing with the layer rendering options, but ideally the area's in which there is no, 2 parts, 3 parts, and 4 parts overlapping should be differently colored..

I could try to create more advanced expressions (or probably I would go for some python) for that, but I was hoping maybe there is another trick/idea to use current multi-polygons, without adding 'parts'

Any help/tip is appreciated.

Regards & TIA,

Richard Duivenvoorde