[Qgis-user] Preview of the QGIS Earth, Sun, Moon, & Planets Plugin

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 11:56:14 PDT 2021

I thought I would give you an alpha version of the QGIS Earth, Sun, Moon &
Planets plugin I am developing. This plugin requires QGIS 3.14 or more
recent. It is also rather large because it contains all the data needed to
run. If you are on windows and want to download a self contained windows
plugin use this link to download:

 earthsunmoon-alpha-windows.zip
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pld4yIxBTTHA0FBwPbaUw_qfrIhHTawA/view?usp=drive_web>

If you are using some other OS, use this link, but before you install it
open up your OSGeo4W console and run "pip install skyfield'. If this is not
the proper command for your OS then adjust it to how you install a python
package. In the OSGeo4W shell you may need to run py3_env first. If py3_env
gives an error then it is not needed.

 earthsunmoon-alpha.zip
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kJammSDWRTk7659Ncp3qAnNMQLggZ4Ks/view?usp=drive_web>

There are 3 processing routines that can be used to display the 1) sun, 2)
moon, 3) planets showing their position directly overhead at a particular
date and time and will look something like this:

[image: sunmoonplanets2.jpg]

There is also another window that displays all kinds of earth and moon data
for a particular location when you click on the "Solar/lunar information"
dialog box that can be found in "Plugins->Earth, sun, moon, & plants."
There is a green plus sign in the dialog box. Click on it and then click
anywhere on the map to capture the coordinate to display solar and lunar
information.

If you need help to manually install this plugin let me know.

I have not included the day/night terminator algorithm yet because there is
a bug in it. Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Calvin