[Qgis-user] Do GPX files contain CRS information?

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Fri Mar 5 02:12:17 PST 2021

Hi Jeremy,

as far as I can remember, the CRS of waypoints is by default EPSG 4326,
no matter what you change in the settings of the device (changes just
alter display of coordinates on the device). But I haven't touched a
garmin for ages (yuk!) and do the stuff with my phone.

Your garmin seems to be a rather old model, cause with garmins from the
last 10 years or so, there was no need to use GPSbable to import the
data, but  they just create gpx themselves.

It is quite uncommon to produce gpx files with other CRS than EPSG:4326,
so better import it into QGIS and reproject it to a new non-gpx file
format with the CRS of choice.

Hope that helps

Bernd