[Qgis-user] Coastline

Iain at jcis.net.au Iain at jcis.net.au
Wed May 5 17:37:20 PDT 2021

This is an interesting question once you get into it. In Australia it is
compounded by States having their own "States Waters" as well as the
Commonwealth having its own waters. I once had to deal with a shipwreck
whose stern was in the State of Victoria and whose bow was in the
Commonwealth. There is an interesting discussion on the Geoscience Australia
site

https://www.ga.gov.au/scientific-topics/marine/jurisdiction that may be of
interest as it talks also about general principals.

In practice I use the 0 elevation contour or shapes of the coast provided by
Government Agencies.

Cheers

Dr Iain Stuart

JCIS Consultants