[Qgis-user] QGIS file version control

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat May 15 05:13:40 PDT 2021

Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net> writes:

> On 5/14/21 8:50 PM, Alexandre Neto wrote:
>> Hi Hugh,
>>
>> Check this plugin to make you qgs files more trackable:
>>
>> https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/trackable_project_files/ <https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/trackable_project_files/>
>
> THAT was exactly my experience when I recently put a projectfile on
> github to be able to easily share the styling of a big set of
> (national) geopackages [0]: the order of the attributes are totally
> unpredictable in standard QGIS: without changing anything, resaving a
> project, you get A LOT of 'edits' in your files.
>
> Apparently this plugin has a solution for it (only looked to the description):
> "Orders attributes in .qgs project files in a predictable order. This helps tracking QGIS project files in versioning systems like git."
>
> It would be good to pull this into QGIS in my view, would that be easy?
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

Do you mean:

  It's a bug that qgis can save a project that is semantically equal in
  textually different forms with reordering.

  This plugin addresses that bug.

  [implicitly, there's no reason to want arbitrary/variable ordering]

  Therefore the plugin should just be folded in and be the normal
  behavior?

That's how I see it, but I'm still newish so I may be missing something.