[Qgis-user] QgsBlockingNetworkRequest causes SIGSEGV

Frank Broniewski hallo at frankbroniewski.com
Sat May 22 06:32:36 PDT 2021

Hi all,

I am trying to replace the `requests` module with QgsBlockingNetworkRequest to
remove a potentially unnecessary dependency from my QGIS plugin. But I am
having trouble using it so far as Python crashes on the command line with a
SIGSEGV all the time. First of all, things work from within the QGIS Python
shell. But not from the command line outside of QGIS.

I am running Fedora 34 KDE spin, but I also tested on Ubuntu 20.04 with the
same failure. It is rather simple to reproduce on my end:

1) open a Python3 shell
2) >>> import qgis
>>> from qgis.core import QgsBlockingNetworkRequest as bnr
>>> r = bnr()
fish: Job 1, 'python' terminated by signal SIGSEGV (Adressbereichsfehler)

I did look at the unittest Testcases  [1] for the class, e.g the
testFetchEmptyUrl class method and do not see anything that I could have
changed to avoid the SIGSEGV.

So, can I not use QgsBlockingNetworkRequest outside of QGIS or am I just
missing something?

Any tips are greatly appreciated,
Frank

[1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/tests/src/python/