[Qgis-user] Geocoding with MMQGIS - Web service geocode

Tobias Wendorff tobias.wendorff at tu-dortmund.de
Thu May 27 20:20:56 PDT 2021

Am 28.05.2021 um 00:13 schrieb Nyall Dawson:

> 1. Since you already have a Google Maps API key, you can use this
> plugin (so long as you are on QGIS 3.18!)
> https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/google_maps_geocoder/ . It adds a new
> processing batch geocoder using Google maps, and since it's a
> Processing algorithm it's very flexible to run (and can be used in
> models, from the command line, etc). It also adds a new locator bar
> shortcut for directly navigating to places on the map using Google
> maps locations.

I am really angry that QGIS still has this plugin. The Google APIs
(Places, etc.) clearly prohibit geometries from being exported and
stored permanently. The only thing that is allowed to be stored
permanently is the Google Places-ID.

We always should tell unexperienced users that rights of use and
copyright might be violated by the use of such plugins. Google has also
just licensed most of its data from third parties and is subject to
restrictions on sharing it. Even if it does not violate copyrights in
some countries, it is against Google's terms of use.

The same is true for OpenStreetMap. Although the data is free, the use
of the geocoder "nominatim" is subject to a right of use with
restrictions to use it. The conditions must be followed.

Sure, everyone is responsible for themselves when they obtain a Google
API key. They agree to exactly these usage rights. But especially
inexperienced users are simply told: just get an API key, then you can
automatically georeference your geodata collection via QGIS. This sends
a bad signal and is unethical.