[Qgis-user] Geocoding with MMQGIS - Web service geocode

Charles Dixon-Paver charles at kartoza.com
Fri May 28 00:39:18 PDT 2021

I know I'm going off topic here, and I think any further discussion on this
should be in another thread, but I'll respond here just to fill in a bit of
a knowledge gap that there seems to be.

I share the sentiment on fair data usage policy and am also frustrated by
the promotion of "incorrect" data utilisation to some extent, but I think
if we look at things objectively, the QGIS community is actually typically
quite well behaved in this regard, and undeserving of our anger.

Most Geocoding tools support multiple services, and this limitation of the
"Google API" is an arbitrary/ non-obvious concept that I would not expect
anybody (developer or client) to reasonably know about (this is a legal
consideration in many jurisdictions). You could easily build tools for a
service you don't utilise so expecting the developers to handle this sort
of limitation effectively (especially since it would involve additional
technical challenges) is probably rather unrealistic. In this particular
instance, since it is a Google specific plugin, I agree more could be done
to communicate the policies, but in the vast majority of cases this is
simply not the case.

In terms of the nominatim integration, the extent of the utilisation and
prevention of the abuse of that service has been discussed on the QGIS
mailing lists, with the developers actively integrating rate limiting in
QGIS, not on the service, amongst other protection measures. In addition,
the PSC Chair sent out correspondence to the OSMF detailing the
implementation in order to receive permission to integrate the nominatim
into QGIS in a fair and responsible manner.

In terms of remaining "ethical", I'd say QGIS as a community does do an
excellent job by default. Whilst there is always room for improvement, as
much of the work done is volunteer work it is difficult to justify
screening community content such as plugins for ethical violations. If
anyone has suggestions on how to better approach the issue as a project and
a community, raising it as a query on the mailing list is a good place to
start.