[Qgis-user] Fw: Did scale change outputting to PDF?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri May 28 17:51:35 PDT 2021

John Antkowiak <john_antkowiak at yahoo.com> writes:

> When I measure the distance in QGIS, I'm given the choice to use the
> Ellipsoidal method or the Cartesian method, which yield different
> distances. Which one of those two choices is my wooden ruler using?

For a state plane coordinate system, I would expect the distances from
the two methods to be quite close. As a wild guess without really
looking it up, within 0.5%.  That's part of the point of how SPCs are
designed.

Presumably the "Project CRS" is the state plane one, and thus the scale
relates distances in that (projected, sometimes called Cartesian) CRS to
distances on the paper.    To have matching maps, you should have both
of them produced with the same project CRS.   (I have no idea if qgis
will allow a map view CRS that is different from project CRS but even if
so my advice would be not to go there because you are already in over
your head.)