[Qgis-user] Shapefile to kml for DJI Pilot, planning your drone mission in QGIS.

Nicolas Cadieux njacadieux.gitlab at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 11:05:54 PST 2021

Hi,

Thanks for the comments.  Since the KML built in Google Earth, QGIS or
Esri product are all compatible with each other, I deduced that the DJI
Pilot software was not reading the kml tags properly.  Even the video
distributed by the company indicate that the easiest way is to simply
take a kml build in Google Earth and to cut and paste the new
coordinates in the kml using a text editor. QGIS add some very basic
tags that seem to make things crash in DJI. The file looks good and
seems to respect the format.   File created in ArcMap can be read in
Google Earth and QGIS but they seem to take a few liberties...  That's
why I used the simplekml python library.  It keep thing as a very bare
minimum. Perhaps I could should have use the gdal library that I use for
reading the files?  Anyways, the simplekml.py made a simple basic kml
that is compatible so I used that, not wanting to spend much time on the
project.  Ideally,  we would need to contact DJI to get a list of what
tags are read by their software.  Ideally, they would fix things on
input end but looks like they have more pressing priorities...  In the
mean time, my script will fix things.

Cheers!

Nicolas