[Qgis-user] importing dwg/dxf

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 17:05:28 PST 2021

Any AutoCAD drawing *can* be on real world coordinates. They're often not
because no real world coordinates were readily available for the project
and there wasn't a compelling need for real world coordinates. AutoCAD
Map3D and subsequent versions with different names like "Civil 3D" have
support for coordinate system conversions, but that doesn't mean that a
DWG/DXF that was produced in vanilla AutoCAD can't be on a real world
coordinate system.

AutoCAD is always Cartesian projected coordinates (not spherical geography)
so you can open a DXF into a QGIS project and then use the QGIS move tool
to move it onto whatever reference data you have in the project. The
AutoCAD data might be in different units that you need but you can take a
guess and use the QGIS scale tool. A common problem in the USA is an
AutoCAD file that's in inches but your project is in feet. So scaling by 12
fixes that. And QGIS has a rotate tool that allows for aligning
different "norths". So with the three QGIS tools move, scale and rotate you
can do an affine transformation. Maybe not as accurate or as clean as you
might hope for, but it's a solution that I've used many many times.

Richard W. Greenwood
www.greenwoodmap.com