[Qgis-user] Does DWG work in 3.22? - RE: importing dwg/dxf

Jeff Sonnentag jsonnentag at llenviroinc.com
Sun Nov 21 20:06:41 PST 2021

Somebody must get the same quality of “engineering” that we do here.  :D

The last item received was in feet and aligns with California State Plane Zone 6, but they chopped off the first digit of both “X” and “Y” for everything.  Who knows why.  Maybe things run faster for them with 6 digit coordinates rather than 7 digit ones like you mentioned.  (???)

Anyway, when I tried the simple drag and drop into QGIS 3.22 it never worked.  Always an error message about invalid data, even after I used DWG Trueview to convert it to the oldest possible versions (97/98 and 2000).  I did manage to get it in AFTER converting the DWG to a DXF with an online conversion site.  That DXF could be drug (I hate the word “dragged” – seems along the lines of “runned”) into QGIS and appeared OK.  Export to a shapefile and then do some affine adjustment magic and things can be worked with.

Is there a reason that a DWG can’t be dropped into QGIS 3.22 but a DXF can?  Are there some DWG versions that just don’t work?  I thought I got a DWG to appear OK in 3.16, but maybe I just imagined it and used a DXF before too. . . .