[Qgis-user] QGIS project templates and PostGIS connections

Frank Broniewski hallo at frankbroniewski.com
Mon Nov 22 11:35:12 PST 2021

Hi fellow QGIS user!

I am scratching my head on the following problem. I want to create a
QGIS project template which has PostGIS layers in it. I want to be able
to pass this template to other users who might use them for different tasks.

The problem now is the connection string to the PostGIS database. When
using the authentication manager each PostGIS connection gets its own ID
which in turn is then referenced in the connection string to the layer.
But now this ID to the PostGIS connection is different for each user, so
the stored connection string in the template is not valid anymore. And
each user has his own credentials for logging into PostGIS as well.

I see that I can give a custom ID to a connection in the authentication
manager, but it is locked by default, so I am hesitant to unlock it. But
is this a viable option? Create the PostGIS connection under the same ID
for each user?

There's also the PostgreSQL connection service file [1] which might be
an option? Does anyone have some experience to share, especially when
talking Windows PC?

How do you manage PostGIS connections for "simple" users on a somewhat
larger scale? I am talking about 20 users, just enough to be annoying
enough for manual deployment ...

Many thanks for any tips,

Frank

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/libpq-pgservice.html